Running Engine in

General discussion on all scales of nitro powered on-road RC cars.

Moderator: Moderators

Running Engine in

Postby I)arkness » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:33 pm

Hey

can someone tell me what sort of fuel quantities i should use running in a RB x12 engine, having never run a high performance engine before.

thanks
TF-5 Stallion Shin Ed - T2 008 - m03 - RRR WC Ed

I)arkness
RC Master
RC Master

Advertisement

Postby stroke28 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:11 pm

good breakin in nitro is from 5-10 percent (i do most of mine on 10).
stroke28
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:16 pm

Run in your engine with the fuel your going to use
bigdaddy
RC Resident
RC Resident

Postby 2FAST4U » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:38 pm

run 16% fuel and let the car idle for 2 tanks without reving then slowly break it in
2FAST4U
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Steve B » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:25 am

There's a lot of conjecture about this subject but I've watched the fast (good) guys and they all seem to follow the same procedure - and I've done it and it works.
1. Use the fuel you are going to run. Forget about run in fuel - it is rubbish and the stuff with cutting additive (RubbishX) is the best way to stuff your engine.
2 Buy the best fuel you can for one road which is AT Racing bar none - forget the other stuff and go the platinum version as well if you want the absolute best. Don't take my word for it though - run it, and then check out the inside of your engine - it will be as clean as a whistle after a run.
3. Put about 1/2 litre through on the track with the engine rich / 4-stroking. Dont' do tanks on the bench - this will stuff the engine too as the pistion just bangs into TDC at low revs with no air flow over the engine. Do it on the track with your clutch set up as you normally would for racing. Get some heat in the engine when you are doing this - running it in dead cold does more damage to the engine than getting some heat in it.
4. Once you have done about the first 1/2 a litre start to lean the engine in and over the next few tanks get it up to about race tune. Now get into it and run it like a race motor. After ~1/2 - 1 litre of fuel, continuing to run really rich just hurts your motor and wears it out.
5. After about ~4 litres, and once the nip/pinch is gone, change the conrod as this is the most stressed part in the engine during the run in process and will be the bit that fails.
6. Talk to 'on road' guys about run in of on road engines. The advice you get from off-road guys will be misleading as their engines don't work anywhere near as hard / rev as hard and as such are probably more forgiving if not run in / managed properly. If you don't get an on road engine right then you will know about it for sure.

There's a saying which is true - run it in 'slow' and it will be slow, run it in 'fast' and it will be fast.

You'll hear a lot of BS about the best things to do (which will contradict the above no doubt) to 'make your motor last' but following this advice will invariably mean that your motor will not go hard and also won't last anyway as it is worn out by the crappy run in that will be recommended. I have just run in a new Nova 12 this way and already it is a rocket. And it will last just the same and get better with time.

I stress again - the most important thing is good fuel (buy AT and forget all the others - if you don't belive me, look at what the really fast guys are running and how reliable their engines are) and don't go near 'run in fuel' - it will stuff your engine (especially the RubbishX version). I know, I tried it on one engine and it was good for the bin only afterwards. What they don't tell you about the 'cutting additive' is that it stuffs the bearings and the crank pin as well because of the abrasive nature of the crap.

If you follow this method, your engine should be reliable and quick. Best of luck and let's know how you go.
Steve B
RC Lurker
RC Lurker

Postby I)arkness » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:54 am

thanks guys for the info, but i sorted that out well over a year ago and dont even have that engine anymore, lol

Im using AT fuel now but going to try the platinum and see what the difference is, as it claims much more power output, will be interesting.

thanks anyway.
TF-5 Stallion Shin Ed - T2 008 - m03 - RRR WC Ed

I)arkness
RC Master
RC Master

Return to On-Road Nitro