Rockingham speed products

Do you feel the need..... the need for speed?

Moderators: Top Eliminator, Moderators

Rockingham speed products

Postby griz » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:06 am

This is a pic of the new Rockingham Speed Products Willys Pro Mod body. Just about finished with the painting. Its going on a short Litespeed chassis with RB C6 power. I can't wait to put this puppy through its paces. Still has the wing to add. At least it looks fast :) The mold is brand new so its very smooth no dimples or anything.

Should have it on the track next weekend I hope. Check www.sadragracing.com to see how it runs :)

Griz
ProMoFo Racing Team Rat Pack
Evil Rat Sprint Car
Psycho Rat Dirt Modified
Plazma Rat Pro Mod featured in Hot Rod magazine
2006 R/C of the Year TRCZ
griz
RC Frequent Driver
RC Frequent Driver

Advertisement

Postby solomon_motorsport » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:27 pm

Griz those bodies are very nice indeed can you provide a photo from the rear? if possible. I am very very close to emailing Billy to see if he can send me some. Just other things keep poping up which need to be taken care off.

Adam
solomon_motorsport
RC Master
RC Master

I don't have one yet

Postby griz » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:07 pm

I don't have the body yet its still in Denver. I'll get you one as soon as I get it in hand. Here is one that gives a good look at how it looks with the wing.

Ray tried to get one shipped and the guy said he didn't ship to Australia. But if you want one let me know and I'll get you one. I gotta feeling the guy is scared of having to deal with customs or something like that. I've had no problems dealing both ways with Australia. Its a sweet body my painter told me its the best mold he's ever seen. These guys selling stuff over here need to realize that your country is the second biggest market for dragsters I would think. Stupid but typical :)

Griz
Evil Rat Sprint Car
Psycho Rat Dirt Modified
griz
RC Frequent Driver
RC Frequent Driver

Postby solomon_motorsport » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:21 pm

9/10 times customs don't bother anything at all. If it's over a certain amoutn they charge you tax and that, but it just means you have to pick it up from the post office. I get lots of stuff sent over from RAE and GMS and they send USPS and it comes through fine. UPS is also good for urgent stuff. I'll see how many others are interested in getting some and we'll get back to you.
solomon_motorsport
RC Master
RC Master

Postby Top Eliminator » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:08 pm

I approached Billy ages ago about stocking some of the gear he was involved with, and it came to nothing. So I just stick with the manufacturers that I've dealt with for years. And Customs don't really provide any hassles in buying stuff from overseas. The minimal amount of paperwork that is required from the sender should not discourage a manufacturer.

Jeff.
Top Eliminator

Postby Greypower » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:01 am

G/day Griz
I know you're mates with Ray, so I don't want to step on any toes, but depending on the price, I will take 2 or maybe three. It may pay to see if 5 or 6 can fit in one box, we'll get the money together & off to you. I definitely want to go ahead with this, because I still have my Parma Willies that I used to race, but found it used to get real light in the rear under brakes & I had to retire it. The rear deck looks like it will fix that issue - & a few others, & the body is now where near as high.
Anyway, if the others procrastinate like they do sometimes, & you don't mind, let me know & I'll get the money to you for my bodies.
If you do go ahead with a 5 or 6 car deal, put it on him for a discount & keep it yourself for your troubles - don't pass it on to us !
Regards Richard
Greypower
RC Resident
RC Resident

Postby solomon_motorsport » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:31 pm

Richard, i'll go for two. So either add them onto your 5 or 6 or i'll take two from what you get. I may be planning a second doorslammer later this year, or early next.

If you step on Ray's toes, he'll run over yours and drop a skid with his buggy. That thing runs 27 seconds i think
solomon_motorsport
RC Master
RC Master

Postby hiddeous » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:16 am

Hey Adam and Richard

I'm keen for one of those bodies as well, saw pics on the forum, and it looks sweet.

P
hiddeous
RC Lurker
RC Lurker

Postby Greypower » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:44 pm

Calling Ray, come in Ray.
Hay bud, I don't want you running over my toes, so are you thinking of any bodies, or how do we go about this. Although, gee, it looks like they're going to be like backsides at the track if this keeps up. It only needs Deputy J to put his hand up, & I may have to reconsider. I don't mind seeing one on Adams sparkie rocketship, but one on Deputies slug, may be just too much :lol: !
Regards Richard
Greypower
RC Resident
RC Resident

Postby Top Eliminator » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:35 pm

Ppfftttt - you know I'm a Ford man.

Jeff.
Top Eliminator

I think he just started up

Postby griz » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:26 am

To his defense I don't think he's been in business for very long. He doesn't have a web site yet either so maybe its just a start up thing. His next car is going to be a Ford from what he told me. I'll have it in my hands for a good inspection later this week but from what my painter said its a perfect mold. I'd like to send all of them at once so if you guys can get it together and let me know how many you want we'll get this done :)

Griz
Evil Rat Sprint Car
Psycho Rat Dirt Modified
griz
RC Frequent Driver
RC Frequent Driver

Postby Greypower » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:25 am

Hay Griz, just saw a pic of your rail :cry: . I feel sorry for you, doesn't make for a very happy trip home from the track. At least it looks pretty salvageable. They really cover ground quick eh !
Regards Richard
Greypower
RC Resident
RC Resident

Well it wasn't that bad

Postby griz » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:01 am

If I hadn't gotten to the finals and at least brought home some hardware it would have been a long 80 miles for sure :) But actually it was the best night I've ever had at the track. The broken parts dont mean a thing. To get to the final I had to get around the current top fuel record holder and the extreme mph record holder and last years worlds top fuel champ. Only to get to race the fastest guy in extreme in the finals. There was a little luck involved. Jeff turned on the red in the semi. Good thing too because mine took all the teeth right off the belt at 3/4 track. It was just like a 1:1 throwing a blower belt. Very cool. I bet they won't be so eager to help me out from now on:) So all in all it was a pretty good ride home. The Novarossi 35 plus 21 continues to get better each week. I have about a gallon through it now and its pinch free without the plug in it. Just right. Its had minimal flow work and port matching done. Its a hell of an engine. But they are going up in cost every day seems like. I got mine for 475 when they first came out. Now they are anywhere from 550 to over 600 here. I saw the JP modified version the other day on a German site for over 900 bucks. Glad I was on top of that one. The 14.5mm crank makes all the difference. It has such a huge hole in the crank its a natural for a drag motor. You can't enlarge a Nova 321 crank as big as the 35P21 is stock.
By the way the PM41 Willys bodied cars took electric and nitro pro mod in Atlanta last weekend. Looks like they are good for speed as well as looks.

Griz
Evil Rat Sprint Car
Psycho Rat Dirt Modified
griz
RC Frequent Driver
RC Frequent Driver

A couple more of the wrecked rail

Postby griz » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:18 pm

You can see the bow in the back plate in this pic. I found out today that a piece of the car traveled over 50 ft and actually tripped the light. So while most of the car was scattered around mid track it actually finished the race:) It was a fine car. 3 1st place and 3 2nd place trophys. I'll miss it. I live at the lake so I'm thinking a viking burial would be appropriate :)

This next shot is the definition of 'no worries' or the definition of a 'bad deal' depending on how you look at it.

I'll have a new chassis tomorrow and my new body is supposed to be here Thursday so I should be good to go again this weekend.

Griz
Evil Rat Sprint Car
Psycho Rat Dirt Modified
griz
RC Frequent Driver
RC Frequent Driver

Postby raysmustang » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:21 pm

If Griz is ok with it, How bout we discuss the qty so he can negotiate a bulk deal with Billy. Obviously we need to pay 2 stints of postage, 1 lot to get 'em to Griz and 1 to get 'em from Griz to here. Griz may still have my address. Anyway, whatever you guys think and Griz is willing to do for us. I really like the body myself, but am still looking and waiting for a Ford!

all the best with the weekend racing Griz. Most of us will be at the Winter Nationals watching the real deal. Fuellers, Pro Mods (Doorslammers in Australia), etc etc. One of our club members will be driving in 2 classes. Top Doorslammer and Top Alcohol.

Talk to you soon or at least one of us will be via email.

Ray
QMDRA Secretary

www.qmdra.org.au
Nitro Top Doorslammer
Nitro Top Fuel Funny Car
Electric Bracket Dragster
raysmustang
RC Master
RC Master

No problem

Postby griz » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:23 am

Yea I'll pass along any savings by buying in quanity. I'm on disability and making money sending these would technically be working. I don't want to give the insurance company a chance to screw me :) He is working on a Ford . I'll get those when they come out if you want them. The molds are made by a master mold maker who works in the auto race industry on the east coast. Making wind tunnel models etc is what I heard. That explains the quality of the body. I have mine in hand now. I made sure I was sitting when I opened the box. Good thing too as you can see from these pictures :)

Cars with this body won both electric and nitro Pro Mod classes at Atlanta last weekend. So its an awsome looker and its slick. Can't beat that. Well back to staring and drooling :)

Griz
Evil Rat Sprint Car
Psycho Rat Dirt Modified
griz
RC Frequent Driver
RC Frequent Driver

The rebuilt rail ran better than ever

Postby griz » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:21 pm

Boy what a relief. As hard as my car hit last weekend I was a little concerned that I might have bent a crank or block. But it picked up right where it left off. We didn't have enough top fuel guys there for a class so we started match racing between bracket rounds. My old car won all 3 of its races with none of the drama of last weekend. Only managed a 1.74 in the heat. No 6's until Sept is the usual deal here in the summer. But its only 3 months and the rest of the year is pretty good for racing. Maybe a week or two in late Jan early Feb when it a little too cold. So I'm not complaining.

Griz
Evil Rat Sprint Car
Psycho Rat Dirt Modified
griz
RC Frequent Driver
RC Frequent Driver

Final mock up

Postby griz » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:07 pm

Almost done now. Starting to look pretty good. Modified the Walbern ladder wheelie bar to fit the Litespeed bearing blocks.

Still have some cutting to do on the rear wheel cut out but I want to get the body actually mounted to the posts before I do the final cutting :)

Griz
Evil Rat Sprint Car
Psycho Rat Dirt Modified
griz
RC Frequent Driver
RC Frequent Driver

For Griz

Postby Greypower » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:02 pm

Hay Griz, Top car, you should be really proud of this ride.
I noticed on your latest pics on RC Drags that you have a noticable angle down on the steering links, so it might be worthwhile checking your bump steer angles - toe in. It depends what travel up the king pin you have as to whether this could be a problem. It comes back to the height of the servo arm linkage.
Don't do a 'rail' on this one, it's too hornie :cool:
I still have to get that box size.
Regards Richard
Greypower
RC Resident
RC Resident

Thanks for the tips

Postby griz » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:07 am

Yea I haven't even started on the little stuff yet. But thanks for that tip. There are no pro mods here so I have to wing it :) My carbon fiber veneer came in yesterday for the wing endplates and the flat part of the wing. It really finishes out the car. The Dragonplate cf is perfect for a 'show car' look. The veneer is very flexible and can be rolled into a 2 inch circle. You can get it with or without adhesive backing.

Not a very good pic and it has a couple of artifacts but you can see how it looks. I also bought some rod and strip cf to fabricate the body mounts out of. The rod is the same size as the Litespeed wheelie bar wire so I can use the wheelie bar mount on the plate to mount the rear body mount. I plan on extending a couple of pieces of the rod out the back far enough to clear the pulley then a piece of the strip will come up from that with a flat piece with velcro on top to secure the body. The strip will sit edgewise to the wind even though its below the body. I think we need some bodies with underpans myself. Seal it all up underneath. You could get a lot more downforce that way and would need less wing I would think on the rails. Let me know on the bodies when you get ready to get them. I'll hook you up.

Its tilted a bit since I don't have the real body mounts on yet and a little too far back in this pic. But I'm real proud of how it turned out. A couple of rails are next. Same chassis two different bodies. I'll preview the one I'm going to put in concours here but not in the states :) Not many snoop around here. I've been told not to show it here or it could hurt my chances. Everything here has to be 'new' you know :) Ray tells me that presentation is big in Australia. Not so much here but I'm doing my best tor remedy that. A buddy of mine previewed his new body the other day. We are always trash talking on the local forum so I had to 'fix up' his picture. All in fun of course :)

After the shock of that one wore off I hit him with this one.

Looks like the little buggers are getting ready for an 'Alien circular ritual' to 'break in' the car. Oh well time to watch the F1 practice.

Griz
Evil Rat Sprint Car
Psycho Rat Dirt Modified
griz
RC Frequent Driver
RC Frequent Driver

Next

Return to Drag Racing