ACTMCRC Newsletter - 24 January 2008

Moderators: nerdling, ford_racing, Moderators

ACTMCRC Newsletter - 24 January 2008

Postby nerdling » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:36 pm

Next Setup will be held on Monday January 28th from 5:00pm in the Mallee building.
The next round for Clubman cars will be January 29th in the Mallee building.
The next round for Touring cars will be February 5th in the Mallee building

For a complete calendar visit: http://www.actmcrc.org.au/calendar.htm
Track Day – Sunday February 2nd
Looking for some extra track time to try out new setups, different classes or just practice? This is the opportunity for just that. Starting at 1300 on Sunday the Track will be open. Depending on numbers we may run a race meeting, timed practice or simply open the doors.

Committee meeting – Sunday the 28th of January.
The club will hold its first committee meeting on the 28th of January. This will provide everyone with an opportunity to discuss matter affecting their racing. Two major issues that will be discussed at this meeting are 13.5BL motors and Lipo Batteries.
A proposal regarding this matters in contained within this E-mail and will be tabled on Sunday.

Round 1 of the Challenge Cup – February 10th.
Its on again. The most successful interclub series or recent years and the ACTMCRC is again a part of the action. The first round will be held at the Lithgow track with a number of ACTMCRC drivers attending.
For more info visit: http://users.bigpond.net.au/raceway/
2008 Off Road ACT Titles
After a lengthy hiatus for this event, the Canberra Off-road Model Car Club will be hosting the ACT Off-road Titles on March 1st and 2nd. Entry for spectators is free.
For more info visit: http://cormcc.org/cormccsite/
Below are proposals that will be raised at this week’s committee meeting:

The Brushless question.
It seems the goal posts have moved, and the old adage, 'there nothing stock about a stock car' stands.
A few years ago iFMAR (the world governing body for RC car racing) released a standard for Brushless motors, immediately a number of manufactures begun releasing motors built to these specifications, most of these motors were aimed at the modified class. Not wanting to let a good thing go by, Novak, followed by others released a 13.5 spec motor and called it a 'Stock equivalent'. Governing bodies did not officially recognize this claim however a number of clubs began to allow these motors to race in Stock.
Fast Forward to 2008. ROAR, the US governing body mandates that the 17.5 spec motor as the stock equivalent and classifies the 13.5 as a 'SuperStock' motor. This decision is based on testing as well as reviewing how the 13.5 compares to the 27t motors since its introduction.
AARCMCC, the Australian governing body has made to move to review the rules that govern Stock, indicating that there is still no reliable way to confirm that a motor is what the label on the can says. However, the Challenge Cup, possibly the biggest Interclub series in NSW/ACT has allowed 13.5BL and 10.5BM motors to compete in the Spec Mod class (19t).
Are you confused?... Me to.
We are currently in a situation where we have two stock classes, SuperStock, that runs on the Clubman night provides a class to run 13.5BL and 23t JRM Motors. 27t Stock currently allows the 13.5 motor to only a few competitors, mainly those who parched a 13.5 in the belief that this motor would be legal in Stock. Over the past 12 months it has become clear that the 13.5, while fractionally faster than a 27t Stock, is still faster. further proof of this can be witnessed by my running a 13.5 motor in the 19t class competitively.
So why not Ban 13.5 motors from the 27t Stock Class?
Because people (who are unable to race in the SuperStock class for whatever reason) have purchased 13.5BLs to race in Stock because we (the ACTMCRC) said they could (based on info from the manufactures). Of course, we also have a responsibility to the drivers who are not upgrading to a 13.5BL to ensure they remain competitive.
So here is the plan:
A 13.5BL class will be run on the Touring nights. This class will be discontinued as of 1 January 2009, this will allow competitors to either adjust their driving habits so they can compete on the Clubman nights in SuperStock, or acquire a legal motor for the 27t Stock class. The 13.5BL class will be run as a subset of the Stock class (like 19t in Mod). Where possible we will place the 13.5BL drivers into their own race but normally they will share the track with Stock. There will be no change to the SuperStock class that is run on the Clubman nights.
Following ROAR's lead, 17.5BL motors will be allowed in the 27t Stock class.
This is my suggestion, it has not yet been ratified by the ACTMCRC committee. If you have a view to express regarding this matter please attend the Club committee meeting scheduled for Monday the 28th of January.

LiPo's
Hard Case LiPo's have been legal for racing at club level for a while now. There is sufficient numbers of members with these batteries for the committee to discuss allowing these batteries to be used in the ACT On Road Titles.
to ensure that this event is a success, it is necessary to ensure that there is at least some compatibility with standard AARCMCC classes, to that end, Lipos should only receive partial approval.
Lipos will be approved for use in Mini, 540, SuperStock, 540 Pro.
Lipos will not be approved for use in Stock, 19t and Modified.
This is my suggestion, it has not yet been ratified by the ACTMCRC committee. If you have a view to express regarding this matter please attend the Club committee meeting scheduled for Monday the 28th of January.
Last edited by nerdling on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nerdling
ACTMCRC Moderator
ACTMCRC Moderator

Advertisement

Postby Doc52 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:16 pm

Mark - Yes I did read what you wrote - all of it - but I will still ask the following ...

1. If I get a 17.5 Brushless now - Will that be as legal in Stock as any of the Brushed motors currently running ?
(I just want to be perfectly clear - before I go out and waste some more $ and get told no no no - we don't like that one any more later on ... )

Am I a little confused .... nah - I do admit to being the following .....

* Yes I am a wee bit miffed .......

* Well upset slightly in actual fact .......

* Very happy that the 13.5 "may" well be allowed until Jan 2009 but over all .....

* Somewhat bedrazzled at the whole shebang !)

* Kind of bemused at the politics involved ....

* Amused at the ins and Outs ....

* Okay I admit it .... generally Just CONFUSED IN ALL WAYS ! 8O
(... and yes that is normal for me !)

....... Now where did I leave that bridge building gear again ???

.... and ...

2. What "Time and Day" - is the meeting again - as per your post it says Sunday at the start and then Monday at the end ?

Committee meeting – Sunday the 28th of January.

If you have a view to express regarding this matter please attend the Club committee meeting scheduled for Monday the 28th of January.

As the 28th is a Monday I guess you mean Monday and the meeting starts at 5pm ?

Thank you for your time - I think we all realise the pain this is for yourself and everyone involved.

I will do my best to be there.

... even if it is on a Sun-Mon-day ! At an unknown time ?

8O

PS - beware the new 7 GATRILLION point 5 numerically read ....
7.5 G`Trillion ......... Brushless coming to your nightmare soon !
<insert evil maniacal laugh here>

http://www.52photos.com
http://www.zone3act.com.au
Zone 3 Racing - Team SNG.
To X-Ray or not to X-Ray - whats the question ? BRUSHLESS FAN !!! - Lazy Racer ?
Doc52
RC Regular
RC Regular

Postby nerdling » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:30 pm

Doc52 wrote:1. If I get a 17.5 Brushless now - Will that be as legal in Stock as any of the Brushed motors currently running ?
(I just want to be perfectly clear - before I go out and waste some more $ and get told no no no - we don't like that one any more later on ... )

We (ACTMCRC) will not change this for at least a year, and certinaly I hope that eventually the 17.5 will replace the 27t motor as the motor to use.

Doc52 wrote:2. What "Time and Day" - is the meeting again - as per your post it says Sunday at the start and then Monday at the end ?

Monday, setup starts at 5pm, once that is done the meet will start... around 6pm.

Doc52 wrote:Thank you for your time - I think we all realise the pain this is for yourself and everyone involved.

I will do my best to be there.

You not wrong. There are really only three options, Ban 13.5's alltogeather from Stock (I'm sort of proposing this) Allow 13.5's in Stock, which is bad for the class of create a subclass for a year for 13.5's (which is what I've proposed.

Don't forget the following:
13.5s are legal in the 19t (Touring night) and Superstock (clubman night) classes (this is not going to change). moving into the 19t class could be a real option for you at Tack in 2009.

BL Motors hold there value resonably well, being BL there are not alot of parts to ware out.
nerdling
ACTMCRC Moderator
ACTMCRC Moderator

Return to ACTMCRC - Drivers Meeting