235mm chassis class & .12 engines

Nitro and Electric racing located at Kingview Drive, Kingston, Tasmania

Moderator: Moderators

235mm chassis class & .12 engines

Postby manta » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:18 pm

couple of question...

can a 235mm chassis (eg Serpent 835 & Neo Attack) race in the 1/10 class?? or is this another class??

to race in the 1/10 class at Kingston do you have to run a .12 in the 1/10 class??

I understand there is new engine restrictions being enforced at Kingston soon eg number of ports.

From what I read, increasing ports does not always make a diff to engine performance, is this true??

hope the Easter bunny was good to you all, and you indulged with something other than Cadbury's s......

m@
manta
RC Regular
RC Regular

Advertisement

Re: 235mm chassis class & .12 engines

Postby rodders47 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:48 pm

manta wrote:couple of question...

can a 235mm chassis (eg Serpent 835 & Neo Attack) race in the 1/10 class?? or is this another class??

Answer is NO. Reason:- to run in 1/10th Nitro Touring Car Class first you have to use a 1/10th Body Style (normally taken from the European Touring Car Class). These bodies are not made for 235mm Track Chassis.

to race in the 1/10 class at Kingston do you have to run a .12 in the 1/10 class??

That is correct as per Australian & world regulations and it must also be a 3 (Three) Port motor fitted with the Carby Resrtictor and a legal Exhaust system.

I understand there is new engine restrictions being enforced at Kingston soon eg number of ports.

Yes June 2006 everyone will have to run the legal 3 port engine.

From what I read, increasing ports does not always make a diff to engine performance, is this true??

I do not have any experience good or bad suffice to say the 1/8th scale can buy 9 port motors. Why would they make them if not to be beneficial?
hope the Easter bunny was good to you all, and you indulged with something other than Cadbury's s......

m@
1/5th car racing - as good as it gets without the mega bucks of full size
rodders47
RC Resident
RC Resident

Postby manta » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:27 pm

Thanks Rod,

Rules are rules and it's good HRCC will abide by these rules...it also makes it easier for people like me starting out, coz it limits the options!!

I read engines with more ports are usually more expensive, however I have not been able to find an article proving that more ports is actually more beneficial...seems to be snake oil to me.

The 235 chassis's look great...has anyone got one?? Do they handle better than a standard 200mm 1/10??

Went to track for a few laps today...the wind had moved the rubbish from inside the green bins and covered the southern fence...looked very pretty! Never fear...bins and rubbish is now safely away in the five star club rooms...perhaps we should get an espresso machine for the rooms??? And perhaps a few lounges???

Should have my 1/10 tourer together this weekend for a few laps on Wednesday. Decided on orange for the shell..should be a little easier to keep my eye on!!

And don't worry Rod I got a .12 3 port...
manta
RC Regular
RC Regular

Postby Tim » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:25 pm

The 235 chassis's look great...has anyone got one?? Do they handle better than a standard 200mm 1/10??

I can answer that one...... No not really.

Back when the 235's where still about at Kingston ( in very limited numbers ) and touring was just getting going they where all put in together in a race but they where counted separately. So it was like two classes racing in the one race but still counted in there respective classes.

Anyway. Lets just say against the fastest guy with a 235mm, a touring car beat it. And the 235 had a Rossi .15 in it where as the touring car only had a .12 3 port. And that was quite some time ago so today's touring cars and .12 engines have improved much in that time.

The 235's have pretty much died off in favour of the touring cars due to running costs and not being much faster or better handling than a good touring car.

If you like the look of a 235 then have a close look at a 1/8th. Basically the exact same thing only bigger/faster and a whole lot more fun :D Plus there is growing support at Kingston in this class.

The 235's are dead I'm sorry to say...
North Tas Off Road Car Raceway http://ntorcr.tripod.com
Tim
RC Resident
RC Resident

Postby rodders47 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:48 pm

Hi Mat,

Thanks for cleaning up the rubbish mate, I forgot to put it out last meeting.

As for the 235mm, I bet you will find HEAPS of em for sale BUT, parts etc will be hard to find and there is no class to race in , so I wouldn't bother mate :D
rodders47
RC Resident
RC Resident

Postby manta » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:12 pm

hmmmm...wondered why they seem cheap on the 2nd hand market...

got the front belt for the Proceed today Rod. put it on straight away, but then had to whip into town.

Will spend a few hours in the 'boys room' tonight fiddling with the beast. hope to have it and the 1/10 on the track next Wednesday .... anyone like me with a few days off during the week that can meet at Kingston for a laugh and few laps???

gave the track at Nicks hobbies a go the other day...struth there are a few corners! you certainly do more damage to your car there than at kingston!! i must say I prefer Kingston (better view).

chiz,
m@
manta
RC Regular
RC Regular

Postby manta » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:19 pm

I just became an RC Lurker??? I liked Rookie better...
manta
RC Regular
RC Regular

Postby TOFAST » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:11 pm

we was all rookies once
Yokomo MR4-TC-BD
Yokomo MR4-TC-SD
Team Associated TC5
Harris RC
Express Motorsorts
Mamba Max
Nick's Hobby Shop
Tiger Models & Hobbies
TOFAST
RC Frequent Driver
RC Frequent Driver

Postby Gardey » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:33 pm

Speaking of size etc Rodders,I'm a bit curious about the catagories etc in relation to the truck racing.
Far be it from me to want to whinge ,but that bloody great big thing that Corey is driving is a bit over the top me thinks.I had a couple of bumps from him last meet & I've just ordered about $150 bucks worth of parts for repairs.
If it was any bigger,,,Hazell Bros would snap it up.
It's just too big mate, my truck is bad enuf when he hits mine ,but what's he gunna do to the little buggies etc when he whacks them ?
I had a chat with him after the race & he said he would just have to drive over em !!
Had a bit of a laugh with him at the time ,but I'm now wondering if he should'nt be in a separate class os something .It's a bit like running the 1/10ths against the 1/5ths except he's gunna do a lot more damage.
I love his truck but should it be in with the littler fellas is the question.
Do unto others
Gardey
RC Regular
RC Regular

Postby rodders47 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:54 pm

hear what your saying Gardey, but up till now we dont have any RULES for trucks and well be that as it may there will always be some that want to flaunt the no rules thingie.

Buggered if I know mate, I really dont see a problem as long as the guy drives respective of others, but well he drives that way in every class, so maybe the Black Flag rule should apply ???? re bad SPORTMANSHIP
rodders47
RC Resident
RC Resident

Postby Gardey » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:04 pm

I'm in no way implying that this is bad sportsmanship as such.
It's probably more of a case of just getting too big for the class.
Maybe we should have a cutoff point in relation to the scale size.
I think 1/4 scale is just a bit intimidating for the average size truck /car or buggy.
I love to watch the thing run ,But not against the much smaller scale machines.
I have no problem with competing againt the thing speed wise ,it's just too much of a bang when it hits us.
Ther are rules concerning the type of bumpers etc & they are in place to reduce the risk of damage to other track users,but what's the point of that rule if you run into or get run into by the "beasty"1/4 scale machine? That's gunna do as much damage or more than a solid bumper .
I don't know what the answer is other than to restrict the size.
Do unto others
Gardey
RC Regular
RC Regular

Postby Tim » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:07 pm

After reading all that i would have to agree with what Gardey is saying. Its just damn cruel to put 1/10th cars up against a bone crushing 1/4.

I say put the 1/4 sized cars in with the 1/5th. They are closer in size to a 1/5th than anything else and I'm sure Rodders would like more to race against in that class he loves so much :wink:
Tim
RC Resident
RC Resident

Postby Gardey » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:04 am

That's an interesting concept Tim,but this is a truck.TRUCK.
It would probably be as quick or quicker than the 1/5th cars but would run over the top of them as well !!
Do unto others
Gardey
RC Regular
RC Regular

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:38 pm

Errr? So what if it dose ? They are all big and heavy and tough. They can take it better than a 1/10th can.

So what if its not a 1/5th sedan. Its large scale. And should be in the large scale class yes? Who cares what it looks like..... Heck, i bet a sedan body and wheels would fit it to turn it into a sedan.
Tim
RC Resident
RC Resident

Postby Gardey » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:11 pm

I suppose that makes sense really .It is more suited size wise at least to the 1/5th cars & there aren't many out there either.But will Rodders & Co welcome "the beasty"into their fold I wonder ????? 8O 8O 8O
Do unto others
Gardey
RC Regular
RC Regular

Postby rodders47 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:02 pm

Well there is a problem with that truck I grant you, and no matter WHAT class it runs in will prove a problem.

1/5th run to Rules and looking at the lap times from last meeting that truck was about as quick as my 1/5th, BUT it is 4 wd 1/5th 2 wd. A body for 1/5th cost $260 PLUS and they can get wrecked easily enough without a TRUCK running through them!!

We also have the problem of the 1/6th car running with the trucks. Reason we didnt let it run in 1/5th is because it is fairly fragile and a 10 kilo 1/5th scale car would destroy it.

I guess it comes down to the Committee to draw up a set of rules so guys wont go out and buy these machines. Now that he has bought it what do we do?

To put this problem into perspective Tim, would you like the 235mm class cars (which I am led to believe are 1/10th class) into the 1/10th class? They are not able to run LEGAL bodies for a start and as far as I am aware would be able to run any motor/pipe etc that would fit ?

That would just wipe out the Recognised 1/10th class in time, and the same goes for the Recognised 1/5th Class !!!

So what do we tell Corey? you cant run that truck mate? because there is no class for it ?
I guess this harks back to the 5 port/3 port thing. If the rules are not displayed and adhered to people will buy whatever they like !!!
rodders47
RC Resident
RC Resident

Postby Gardey » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:29 pm

Yep Rodders ,you've hit the nail on the head .You sure don't want to get whacked by "the beasty" & neither do I !!!
It will do just as much & more damage to our smaller machines than it would to the 1/5ths & I've already been on the receiving end & am paying the price.
As far as what do you do with that size machine now that he's bought it? Well not my problem is the first thought that comes to mind.
Why would you buy a 1/4 scale truck when there are no others racing there? If I go & buy a 1/4 scale car ,would I be able to run against the 1/5ths or 1/10s/
Answer would be no !
If he stays in this class & whacks & breaks every one out there, what will happen?
Will all the others eventually say ,Bugger this mate I'm staying home.Too much money in repairs.
I think there needs to be a limit on the size to so 1/8 or even 1/6th,but 1/4, is it really fair to the rest of us out there....?
He tells me that he has fun digging trenches with it when he does wheelies.
Maybe he could apply it to that task & make a buck ?
Do unto others
Gardey
RC Regular
RC Regular

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:39 pm

No i wouldn't mind if the 235mm ran with the 200mm at all.

Have done it before. Would do it again. They are no faster ( lap time wise).

Cant see it happening though. They are just not a very popular chassis. The 200mm are just so much more channelling and fun to drive. Not to mention way cheaper with tyres and the like.

So what's wrong with running it with the 1/5th ? I personally don't see the problem ? The rules are not in force yet i was led to believe ???

Or is it rodders don't want HIS car getting beaten up by it :lol: :lol: :lol: who cares if everyone else gets crunched. :lol: 8O :lol:
Tim
RC Resident
RC Resident

Postby rodders47 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:18 pm

Tim I have to take exception to your statement there. It is not Rodders that runs this Club but a committee that was voted in at the last AGM. Unfortunately this committe is spread over the State and 2 of the members do not have online contact. And as is normal I get very little IF NO imput from the committe members, or MEMBERS in general, with regards anything of discussion.

Or is it rodders don't want HIS car getting beaten up by it who cares if everyone else gets crunched.

To put it BLUNTLY Tim I really dont give two Hoots who I race against, I know that I wont win if it goes down to the wire of everyone lasting 5 minutes in a race, but I do win some times (actually most Times, even thought I am tied up with the race format on the computer etc etc and have literally NO time to work on my cars during a race meeting, unlike all the other members, and I also do my fair share of Marshalling, and I did win the Club Championship Last year on points but I relinquished that result to the runner up) because my cars LAST the 5 minutes.

So Tim you are telling me on this forum that you would welcome anyone with a 235 mm chassis to race against your 1/10th car (with I might add a 3 port motor and abiding within the regulations) regardless of what motor he might run and what pipe he may run and as per normal most of the 235 mm bodies I have seen do not resemble any shape or form of a 2 litre sedan car as raced in the European Championships ( as is the rule for 1/10th ) and you are Happy to RACE against that????

If that is the case then it should be submitted to the committe that no matter what class you race in it is "OPEN SLATHER". race what you want to and bugger any rules!!

Sure makes organising things simple :D

Oh and on the organising things as per race day, well I will not be there for the next race meeting, for participating or organising, but I WILL be at the track for the next meeting as a RACER, not organiser, others can sort it out as I formally RETIRE from that duty. someone else can LUG out the "puter. connect it all up, collect the monies owing for race meeting, set up alycat so that hopefully it will work "A" ok on the day , Oh and put plastic bags in the rubbish bins , and when everyone else has left, remember to put away the computer, lock the shed , empty the rubbish bins into the Black bags that somehow fell into to the bins and everyone piled their rubbish on TOP of the bags, and tie them securely and put them outside the fence so that the council can collect them. :?:
Last edited by rodders47 on Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rodders47
RC Resident
RC Resident

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:32 pm

lol. You take me too seriously rodders. Didn't you see the laughing similes in my post??? :lol: That means I'm just playing with ya silly :lol:

And to answer your other question about the 235mm Yeah bring em on i don't care :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I could do with more competition out there anyway :lol: :lol: :lol: Its all the OTHERS who race 1/10th who might not like it :cry: :P

I do win some times (actually most Times, even thought I am tied up with the race format on the computer etc etc and have literally NO time to work on my cars during a race meeting, unlike all the other members, and I also do my fair share of Marshalling, and I did win the Club Championship Last year on points but I relinquished that result to the runner up)

Is that a violin i here playing ? :? :lol:

Gardey brings up a good point there. If no one else is racing a 1/4 scale then why buy the thing in the first place if intending to race it? As a fun car to bash around with down the back paddock is fine but to race against the smaller more fragile cars when no one else even has one is a bit unfair to others ????? 8O

Also sounds like it is causing some damage to the track and surrounding areas if its digging holes about the place? And that cant be good?

someone else can LUG out the "puter. connect it all up, collect the monies owing for race meeting, set up alycat so that hopefully it will work "A" ok on the day , Oh and put plastic bags in the rubbish bins , and when everyone else has left, remember to put away the computer, lock the shed , empty the rubbish bins into the Black bags that somehow fell into to the bins and everyone piled their rubbish on TOP of the bags, and tie them securely and put them outside the fence so that the council can collect them.

Ah there's that violin again. I wonder where its coming from :? :lol:
Tim
RC Resident
RC Resident

Next

Return to Hobart RC Car Club